A while back CNN Money had an article about the supposed “death” of the 40-hour work week.
Now, the Gallup Poll they mention I’ve already talked about. And most of us here already know that the 40 hours work week is, generally speaking, not actually a thing for a lot of people. There are all sorts of political (hierarchical), economic (capitalism) and social/cultural reasons (work culture in general, especially the Puritan Work Ethic and the “American dream”).
So none of that really needs to be gone over, I think.
And if you really want to see what CNN had to say then the link is above.
More interesting was that in the article itself it had a quiz about whether your work-life balance is doing okay.
Here were the questions:
- Do you spend at least an hour answering work emails
before or after work?
- Do you feel obligated to check work emails during family meals?
- Do you feel pressure to work in the office more than 8 hours a day most days?<
- Do you feel pressure to work some weekends?<
- Do you frequently miss important life events or skip vacation days because of work?<
- Do you have an overbearing boss?
- Do you have a long commute?
I asked a relative of mine if she wanted to take the test, but instead of taking it she just laughed and said (paraphrasing), “I’m terrible at that. If I didn’t have to work I’d have so much more time for fun! Work gets in the way of my life.”
Well said, Nameless Relative.