I live in the United States if you haven’t figured that out and if you also haven’t somehow noticed, the president-elect is a total fucking fascist.
So we’ve got our work cut out for us in terms of what we can and should be doing to oppose the rise of fascism in this country. I have been feeling exhausted these past few days, stunned from a victory I will fully admit that I didn’t predict in the slightest.
Now, I’m an anarchist. I was against a Clinton campaign as much as I am against a Trump presidency. Well, that’s not completely true, since Clinton would have likely just been the same Shitty Status Quo instead of the Potential Nightmare Scenario that we (Americans) have in front of us right now.
In any case, I don’t support anyone’s attempt to rule over me whether they be democrat, republican, libertarian, green party or anyone else. It’s my job in this world, as an anarchist, to make the process for any of these would-be rulers to have their job be as tough as possible.
And I also want to inspire others to make their jobs as difficult as possible by arming them with the knowledge of how to effectively resist the presidency and all of its alphabet soup agencies that it controls. From the DEA to the ICE, to the FBI and the CIA and the FDA, I want people to resist these unjust exercises of power and build their own expressions of individuality and collective liberty.
Anyone who is reading this should already know how terrible Trump will be for the US but in case you’re somehow not convinced let me remind you that he’s a failed businessman, has already added many war-hawks to his cabinet, has a VP who thinks you can convert “the gay” out of individuals, promises to deport 3 million “illegal” immigrants when he gets into office and has inspired a wave of hate against marginalized groups, most particularly people of color, women and Muslims.
If none of that matters to you, if none of that makes you cringe, if none of that makes you wonder what’s going to happen to the US in some sense of fear, then we are probably not allies. We’re not “collaborators”, “accomplishes” or whatever other political word you want to use. We’re not on the same side here and the best thing you can do is get out of the way of those trying to fight against fascism online and in the streets.
I don’t know what will happen in the next four years and I don’t honestly want to think about it. I’m barely struggling as it is without a job (which is hopefully going to be remedied soon) and living in a state that (overall) supported Trump over anyone else.
The past few days have been a constant struggle of dissociating and then rediscovering some renewed sense of hope and determines, before giving way to out and out despair and hopelessness once more.
Put simply, I have no grand master plan of how to resist fascism. I don’t really think any of us do or can have such a plan. But we all have ready-made tools to help us and our families prepare for what is going to happen in the next 67 days.
To that end, here is a list of useful links for us to fight fascism with:
Resources for Trans Folks
- If you are a trans person and need help, click here.
- If you can donate to trans folks, click here.
- If you are a trans person and need donations for a passport, click here (link removed because it is supposed to be shared privately, if you want the link, let me know!).
- If you’re a trans person and live in the US, here’s some tips on what to do now.
- Cis women and afabs who care about trans people who take female hormones, if you are still able to access this when the dust settles, please consider getting a Rx for estradiol-only birth control, not for yourselves (unless that’s what you use) but as a way to help the many trans folks who are going to lose their hormones.
- Anyone who can get an Rx for it, please consider getting spironolactone for “acne” or for your “blood pressure.”
- PLEASE COPY/PASTE. We need to start thinking about these kinds of seemingly little things, especially given how many of us are dependent on the ACA Medicaid Expansion.
- Arm trans folks, for example here.
Resources for Privacy
- Things to know about web security before Trump is in office, here.
- How to encrypt your entire life in less than an hour, here.
- Use Riseup and Gmail, with Gmail being a main account and Riseup being your email for more sensitive information.
- Download Signal!
- Use Tor as your default browser and combine it with a VPN for added security.
- Learn about security culture! (also here, here and here)
- Download apps like Cell 411 and Buoy to keep connected with friends and loved ones.
- What to do if you’re stopped by the police, from the ACLU
- The “Oh Shit! The What Should I Do Before January 20” Guide
- This is probably the most important one to share and it’s where a good portion of these resources came from: 71 Days to Prepare Before the First Executive Order.
There’s plenty more resources out there than just all of that, but I hope it’s a good start for my fellow anarchists and other folks who support opposing Trump on every level.
I will be honest and say I’m not sure how consistent my rate of content will be anymore. I’m going to try to keep publishing articles but (and especially if I get a steady job) this might be more difficult now that much more pressing personal matters have presented themselves due to the upcoming president-elect.
Lastly, if you don’t think you can stay and fight then that’s okay.
Everyone has their limit of what they’re going to be able to deal with.
For example, if my access to affordable healthcare gets cut off so I can’t get hormones, doctor visits and therapy, then I may as well move to another country. And anyone who disagrees with me on that is possibly condemning me to death just so I can fight for a political movement where I will hardly even have the resources or energies to do so.
That’s my stopping point, but I am hoping it doesn’t get to that place.